I did a little freelance work back in February – April this year but I’ve been reluctant to mention it here in case the game didn’t get released. It went live on Google Play last Thursday though so I guess now I can speak about it.
High Steaks was made by Future Fossil Studios in Dundee and I did some character animation and skin weighting for the main character. You can get it now on Android here. It’s free to play and pretty good.
Rewriting the character movement code for my character I found several approaches.
- Move by altering the transform.position of the character.
- Move using a character controller component and forces.
- Move using rigidBody component and forces.
The first of these worked fine but didn’t play well with my camera control code. Also, since I’d reworked the level generation code to automatically build invisible walls of box colliders in a corridor of any given width or height I wanted a solution that used these. Not using the colliders would have meant adding code to check whether the player would exceed the bounds of the level on the next frame, and I’d rather not have to write this if I can help it.
The second option seemed like a better fix. It would let me use the colliders I’d added to the level geometry but it became clear that I wouldn’t get the arcade style movement I wanted. Move() worked okay but SimpleMove() didn’t work at all, and neither allow any interaction with the Unity physics model. I saw a lot of negative feedback on the character controller component, so I decided to try the rigidBody instead.
In using rigidBody I was very much at the end of my rope in getting the movement I wanted. I found however that with some adjustments to the mass and drag of the player rigidBody and greatly increasing the gravity of Unity’s Input Axis functionality I could get very close to perfect movement; very responsive but with just a hint of inertia. It will need some tweaking no doubt once the game nears completion but it’s far better than it was. The final problem with this method is that, as it uses the physics engine of Unity it meant that friction was occurring between the player and level walls, though this was easily fixed by making a zero friction physics object and adding it to the box colliders of the level walls.
Some articles that were also useful in getting player movement right…
This is a play-through of a game made as part of the Mrof Games Development course at the University of Abertay, Dundee. The game is created using UDK, with art assets created using Autodesk Maya, 3DS Max and Photoshop.
The game is set in a fictional Scottish castle overrun by vampires. Fearghus must storm the castle and defeat the vampires, eventually reaching the vampire lord. Defeat him to complee the level. The game controls similarly to games like Power Stone and Kung-Fu Chaos, with 1 or 2 player platforming and fighting action.
Team Tertiary are…
Producer: Kunal Patwe
Designer: Isabella Wang
Programmers: Donald Hicks, Tony Hilton, Hunter Zhang
Concept art, environment and UI): Bruce Yan, Neal Liu
Character concept, modelling and texturing: Yuting Jiang
Character rig and animation, character particle effects: James Kyle
Audio: Cam Goold
The game was shown at Dare Protoplay 2012 at Cairn Hall in Dundee as part of the Dare to be Digital competition show and associated events. Here’s a video of how it looked there. It’s not quite as polished and played a little worse than the final submitted version but was still received well by the public.
As part of my MProf Games Development I was working on a UDK game in semester 2 called “Tochi Tochi.” I assume that’s the main character’s name but I’e since forgotten why it’s called that. Here’s a video playthrough.
The controls for the game are a little tricky as it’s just a prototype, but it functions and all the game mechanics work as intended. The aim is to get the main character to the level goal while avoiding sunlight. As direct light kills the character it’s a good idea to avoid the beam of the critter enemy roaming the level. The player can possess the critter to move across brightly lit areas. It is essentially a stealth platformer.
I worked on the main character model, textures, rigging and animation. The textures and normal map were taken and improved upon by one of the teams other artists, Bryn Morrison-Elliot. I feel like it turned out okay but I wasn’t very involved in how the character looked once it got into UDK. In the next semester project I made sure to be far more involved in that aspect of the game.