I recently bought Pro Motion 6.5, a piece of software designed to allow the creation of pixel art. It’s quite good but has an interface that’s very unintuitive for someone used to Photoshop and GIMP. The online tutorial videos for it are also quite good if you can handle the terrible audio quality.
I did a little freelance work back in February – April this year but I’ve been reluctant to mention it here in case the game didn’t get released. It went live on Google Play last Thursday though so I guess now I can speak about it.
High Steaks was made by Future Fossil Studios in Dundee and I did some character animation and skin weighting for the main character. You can get it now on Android here. It’s free to play and pretty good.
Over the past few days I’ve been tinkering with the code of the game I’m working on and trying to come up with a way in which the colour of all the objects in a game can switch between colour schemes. I think I have a reasonably reliable solution.
Basically my main game controller has two sets of colours: a target colour set and a current colour set. The current colour set is the one that you see, as all the game objects refer to that when updating their colour tint values. The second set, the target colours, are a group of colours that the current colour set is trying to replicate.
Basically what this allows me to do is always refer objects in the scene to the one set of colours without having to worry about how they’re going to transition. The game controller object is constantly managing the colour palette, and all transitions are done there. While it makes for a fair bit of code on the game controller object, it massively reduces the code on everything else in the scene.
There’s a new build that shows this colour switching. It’s not a sudden process, as the game controller only changes the current colour set values by a small amount each frame. You can try this by pressing the “C” key on your keyboard. The image below links to the newest version, so if I’ve updated it since writing this then it may not work any more (but will likely be closer to completion.)
This is a play-through of a game made as part of the Mrof Games Development course at the University of Abertay, Dundee. The game is created using UDK, with art assets created using Autodesk Maya, 3DS Max and Photoshop.
The game is set in a fictional Scottish castle overrun by vampires. Fearghus must storm the castle and defeat the vampires, eventually reaching the vampire lord. Defeat him to complee the level. The game controls similarly to games like Power Stone and Kung-Fu Chaos, with 1 or 2 player platforming and fighting action.
Team Tertiary are…
Producer: Kunal Patwe
Designer: Isabella Wang
Programmers: Donald Hicks, Tony Hilton, Hunter Zhang
Concept art, environment and UI): Bruce Yan, Neal Liu
Character concept, modelling and texturing: Yuting Jiang
Character rig and animation, character particle effects: James Kyle
Audio: Cam Goold
The game was shown at Dare Protoplay 2012 at Cairn Hall in Dundee as part of the Dare to be Digital competition show and associated events. Here’s a video of how it looked there. It’s not quite as polished and played a little worse than the final submitted version but was still received well by the public.
As part of my MProf Games Development I was working on a UDK game in semester 2 called “Tochi Tochi.” I assume that’s the main character’s name but I’e since forgotten why it’s called that. Here’s a video playthrough.
The controls for the game are a little tricky as it’s just a prototype, but it functions and all the game mechanics work as intended. The aim is to get the main character to the level goal while avoiding sunlight. As direct light kills the character it’s a good idea to avoid the beam of the critter enemy roaming the level. The player can possess the critter to move across brightly lit areas. It is essentially a stealth platformer.
I worked on the main character model, textures, rigging and animation. The textures and normal map were taken and improved upon by one of the teams other artists, Bryn Morrison-Elliot. I feel like it turned out okay but I wasn’t very involved in how the character looked once it got into UDK. In the next semester project I made sure to be far more involved in that aspect of the game.